Mike Winters' practice consists primarily of commercial and residential real estate development, including land acquisition, leasing, development financing, and land use planning. He has significant experience in the commercial development area, including office parks, mixed-use commercial developments, apartment projects, and shopping centers. His real estate finance work includes representation of local and national banking institutions in development and construction financing, as well as permanent lenders on all types of commercial projects.
Mr. Winters has served two terms on the Board of Directors of the Cary Chamber of Commerce, having served as chairman in 1990-91 and 2007-08. Mr. Winters was awarded Citizen of the Year in 2009 by the Cary Chamber of Commerce. He is a graduate of the University of North Carolina where he was a Morehead Scholar (B.S., 1975; J.D., 1978).
Mr. Winters serves on the Development committee of the North Carolina Triangle affiliate of the Susan G. Komen Foundation, and was honored in the News & Observer as their "Tar Heel of the Week" for his work in fighting breast cancer. He is also on the Board of Directors of Shepherds Theological Seminary.
Awards and Honors
- Business North Carolina, Legal Elite, Real Estate (2007-2014)
- Business (2015)
- "Hall of Fame" for Real Estate Law (2014-2017)
- North Carolina Lawyers Weekly “Leaders in the Law” Award Recipient (2013)
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, "Leader in the Field" for Real Estate (2009-2017)
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Real Estate Law (2011-2017)
- Raleigh "Lawyer of the Year" for Real Estate Law (2011 & 2016)
- North Carolina Super Lawyers Magazine, Real Estate Law (2006-2017)
- North Carolina Bar Association "Citizen Lawyer" Award 2014
- Citizen of the Year, Cary Chamber of Commerce (2009)
- Peer review rating of AV in Martindale-Hubbell®