Preetha Suresh Rini joined Ellis & Winters after a two-year clerkship with the Honorable Mark A. Davis of the North Carolina Court of Appeals. She is a member of the firm's Litigation and Privacy and Data Security practice groups.
Preetha litigates a broad range of complex commercial cases, including claims involving contract disputes and allegations of fraud and unfair and deceptive trade practices. She also has defended companies in products liability claims. Preetha's practice also includes the defense of medical providers in malpractice claims.
Preetha earned her law degree, cum laude, from the University of North Carolina School of Law, where she was a Comments Editor for the North Carolina Law Review. During law school, Preetha completed an externship with the Honorable Richard A. Elmore of the North Carolina Court of Appeals. She also interned with the AppalReD Legal Aid, where she provided pro bono services to indigent clients in Eastern Kentucky. As an undergraduate student at Centre College, Preetha obtained a double major in Government and Spanish.
Preetha is an artist and is active in homeless ministries. She is the founder of her own artwork business, which helps raise money for local charities. She lives in Cary with her husband and their dog.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Wake County Bar Association
- "Tracking the Status of North Carolina's Satellite-Based Monitoring Program Post-Grady," The Middle Ground, Volume 8, Issue 2, October, 2018
- "The North Carolina Street Gang Nuisance Abatement Act: Unconstitutionally Criminalizing the Presence of Gang Members in North Carolina," 94 N.C. L. Rev. Add. 44 (2016)
Prior Legal Experience
- Clerkship, North Carolina Court of Appeals, Hon. Mark A. Davis
- Judicial Extern, North Carolina Court of Appeals, Hon. Richard A. Elmore