Professional licensing and business regulation
Ellis & Winters has extensive experience in both representing clients in proceedings before various occupational licensing boards and in representing the boards and professional societies themselves. The firm's experience includes:
- Acting as special litigation counsel for several occupational licensing boards, handling their most difficult cases and appeals.
- Defending professional clients in proceedings before occupational licensing boards and in litigation with the boards, including the North Carolina Licensing Board for General Contractors, the North Carolina Board for Surveyors and Engineers, the North Carolina Private Protective Services Board, and the North Carolina Real Estate Commission.
- Advising clients regarding licensure issues.
- Advising clients regarding compliance with statutes and administrative codes governing their professions.
- Representing a professional society in a dispute with an occupational licensing board regarding improper expansion of the scope of the latter's profession.
- Representing occupational licensing boards in disputes with the Rules Review Commission.