Cameron “Cam” Kirby is a creative litigator with a naturally-inquisitive disposition. Cam believes that effective legal representation requires a skeptical approach alongside an open-mindedness to innovative solutions. Reticent to accept anything at face value, Cam enjoys developing thoughtful, tailored solutions to his client’s problems or — when circumstances allow — finding ways to avoid escalation of the conflict in the first place.
Cam seeks to identify his client’s overall objectives and maximize their interests at every stage of a dispute.
Cam adds significant value to our litigation practice, not only as a function of his meditative case philosophy but also due to the breadth and depth of his litigation background. His Delaware corporate litigation background and experiences in the Florida appellate courts have given him substantial material to draw upon when representing clients in commercial and corporate disputes, consumer actions, and healthcare litigation. This ensures that Cam has the tools to not only successfully advocate on behalf of a client in a complex commercial dispute, but also to do so efficiently.
Though Cam claims that he did not plan his academic career as a front for indulging his passion for college basketball, his resume proves otherwise. Cam studied at the University of Virginia School of Law, where he was the Notes Editor for the Virginia Journal of International Law. For his undergraduate studies, Cam earned his bachelor’s degree from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Between his years in Chapel Hill and Charlottesville, he received his M.A. from Queen Mary, University of London (while studying as a Rotary International Ambassadorial Scholar). To our knowledge, Queen Mary does not have an intercollegiate basketball team.
Cam spent the better part of a decade navigating up and down the Atlantic seaboard for his career, including a year spent abroad on the “other side of the pond.” Finally, Cam returned home to North Carolina in 2018 to join our team here at Ellis & Winters.
Born and raised in North Carolina, Cam is happiest farming with his fingers deep in native soil or fishing off the Carolina coast. One day, Cam aspires to own enough land to support a small herd of cattle.
- J.D., University of Virginia School of Law, 2014
- Honors: Notes Editor, Virginia Journal of International Law
- Quarterfinalist, William Minor Lile Moot Court Competition
- Participant, UVA Men’s Team, UVA Law Softball Invitational (2013 & 2014)
- M.A., Queen Mary, University of London, 2011
- Honors: Rotary International Ambassadorial Scholar
- B.A., University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, 2010
- Honors: Jordan Carolina Scholar
- North Carolina
- Eastern District of North Carolina
- Middle District of North Carolina
- Western District of North Carolina
- District of Delaware
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Wake County Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division
- Defense Research Institute
|May 30, 2018||Ellis & Winters Welcomes Cameron Kirby and Chris Trusk|
- Represented hedge fund in dispute over exit from multibillion-dollar limited liability company
- Represented real estate investment funds in dispute over indemnity and advancement requirements to criminally charged officers
- Represented multibillion-dollar mining conglomerate in fiduciary duty action regarding payments to former executive
- Defended national chain of pharmacies in connection with claims based on allegedly erroneous dispensing of prescription medications
- Represented satellite telecommunications provider in connection with dispute over royalties owed for technology developer
- Advised healthcare technology start-up in connection with merger
Prior Work Experience
- Associate, Abrams & Bayliss LLP, Wilmington, DE (2016—2018)
- Clerk, Florida Fourth District Court of Appeal, Hon. Alan O. Forst
- Judicial Intern, Supreme Court of North Carolina