Derrick Foard is a native North Carolinian and is a member of the firm’s Litigation Group. He is an experienced litigator who focuses his practice on complex commercial litigation with an emphasis on products and general liability. Before joining Ellis & Winters, Derrick worked for a national law firm as a litigator concentrating his practice on defending employers and insurance carriers in workers’ compensation claims in both North and South Carolina. He has also practiced with a mid-sized law firm.
A graduate of Campbell University School of Law, Derrick served as a Law School Peer Mentor, and Parliamentarian for the Black Law Student Association (BLSA) while earning his J.D degree. He also competed in the school’s Moot Court competition during law school. In addition to the extracurriculars and coursework, Derrick completed externships at the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission Charlotte District Office and the Office of General Counsel at Duke Energy in Raleigh, North Carolina. Derrick attended North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University earning a B.S. in Economics where he was a recipient of the McCorkle – Polk Scholarship.
Derrick is a member of the Lancaster County Bar Association and the Cabarrus County Bar Association, while also serving as a committee member for the Mecklenburg County Bar’s Diversity Equity and Inclusion Committee. He is an active member of the Phi Chi Chapter of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. in Concord, North Carolina. He is also a big sports fan, having played basketball during his youth and teenage years and continues to root for his favorite sports teams including the Carolina Panthers, Charlotte Hornets, NC A&T Aggies, and the NC Tar Heels.
When Derrick is not busy with his law practice, he most enjoys spending time with his wife, daughter, and son, as well as with his extended family and long-time friends.
- J.D., Campbell University, Norman Adrian Wiggins School of Law, 2018
- B.A., North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University, 2014
- Polk Scholarship recipient
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
- District of Columbia
- Western District of North Carolina
Memberships and Associations
- Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc., November 2021-Present
- Lancaster County Bar Association, May 2021-Present
- Associate Attorney, Dickie, McCamey & Chilcote, December 2020-October 2022
- Hedrick Gardner Kincheloe & Garofalo LLP, April 2019-December 2020
Hankin & Pack PLLC, October 2018-April 2019
Clerk, Hunter & Everage, August 2018-September 2018
- Extern, U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission Charlotte District Office
- Extern, Office of General Counsel at Duke Energy