Eric Goodheart is a passionate litigator with a focus on medical malpractice and product liability defense. This focus on the medical industry could have been predicted from a young age. Eric grew up surrounded by professionals in the industry, with a mother in the medical device industry, a father in the pharmaceutical industry, and a sister who became a doctor. Eric has witnessed first-hand the ways in which the medical industry serves society, and how important it is to protect those who dedicate their lives to the practice of medicine and related matters from the ravages of a lawsuit. Eric understands the pressure that doctors, nurses, and other medical professionals face on a day-to-day basis, and takes a compassionate approach to legal representation.
Eric represents a range of clients, from individual physicians to the North Carolina Board of Nursing. Although his practice is primarily focused on medical malpractice and medical device product liability defense, it also includes the representation of hospital systems in licensure disputes. Eric has experience responding to complaints from the North Carolina Medical Board and is capable of wading through reams of medical records in service of his client’s case.
Eric joined Ellis & Winters in September 2018 after earning his law degree from the University of North Carolina School of Law. Before law school, Eric received his undergraduate degree from the University of Michigan, and following graduation. served as a legal intern for the Bucks County District Attorney’s Office in Pennsylvania and as a judicial intern to the Honorable Gary Gilman for the Court of Common Pleas of Bucks County, Pennsylvania. In his free time, Eric enjoys international travel, playing soccer, and watching Michigan football.
- J.D., University of North Carolina School of Law, 2018
- Honors: With Honors
- North Carolina Law Review, Contributing Editor
- B.A., University of Michigan, 2015
- Honors: University Honors
- North Carolina
- Eastern District of North Carolina
- Middle District of North Carolina
- Western District of North Carolina
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Wake County Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division
|Jul 31, 2019||Alex Hagan and Eric Goodheart published in DRI Magazine|
|Sep 13, 2018||Ellis & Winters Welcomes Preetha Suresh Rini and Eric Goodheart|
- Legal Intern, Bucks County District Attorney, PA
- Judicial Intern, Court of Common Pleas of Bucks County, PA, Hon. Gary Gilman
- “The Implications of Retaining Public Relations Firms on Attorney-Client Privilege, DRI Webinar, April 2020
- Two Tiers of Plaintiffs: How North Carolina’s Tort Reform Efforts Discriminate Against Low-Income Plaintiffs, 96 N.C. L. Rev. 512 (2018)
The Implications of Retaining Public Relations Firms on Attorney-Client Privilege, For the Defense, July 2019