As a former Infantry Squad Leader in the United States Marine Corps, Matt has a strong sense of duty and understands dedication and commitment. He honed these attributes during his military service, and now applies them to his legal practice.
Prior to joining Ellis & Winters, Matt was a law clerk to the Honorable U.S. District Judge Liam O’Grady in the Eastern District of Virginia. During law school, he worked as a legal intern for the National Security Division of the Department of Justice in Washington, D.C., as well as for the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of North Carolina in Raleigh.
Matt received his law degree from Duke University School of Law, where he served as a senior staff editor for the Duke Journal of Constitutional Law & Public Policy. He was also a co-president of the Immigrant Education Program, which received the Duke Bar Association “Greatest Service to the Outside Community” award in 2017 under Matt’s leadership. Matt earned his undergraduate degree, summa cum laude, from Rutgers University in an accelerated program.
Matt is a member of the firm’s Trial and Litigation practice area, and focuses on complex commercial litigation, medical malpractice defense, product liability, and intellectual property. His legal interests are varied and encompass legal procedure, medical device litigation, and class actions.
During his free time, Matt can often be found with his wife, daughter and two dogs, both Vizslas. The Vizsla is a sporting breed, also known as great companion dogs. Matt is a sporting dog training enthusiast, and both of his dogs have earned the title “Master Hunter” in competition. He is also an amateur woodworker and enjoys spending time in his shop.
- J.D., Duke University School of Law, 2019
- Duke Journal of Constitutional Law & Public Policy, Staff Editor
- Kathrine R. and Robinson O. Everett Scholar
- Burdman Summer Fellowship
- B.A., Rutgers University, 2016
- Summa cum laude
- Matthew Leydt Society
- National Society of Collegiate Scholars inductee
- North Carolina
- Eastern District of North Carolina
- Middle District of North Carolina
- Western District of North Carolina
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- American Bar Association, Intellectual Property Law Section (ABA-IPL)
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section, Class Actions & Derivative Suits Committee
- DRI, Pretrial Practice & Procedure Committee
- DRI, Intellectual Property Litigation Committee