The daughter of Indian-born immigrants, Preetha wanted to be a lawyer from an early age so that she could serve her community and help others achieve their dreams. Preetha is a member of the firm’s litigation practice group and lets her creative spirit, service orientation, and sense of compassion guide her client interactions.
Preetha handles a wide range of complex commercial litigation, including claims that center around contract disputes and business torts, such as allegations of fraud and unfair and deceptive trade practices. She also regularly defends manufacturers against product liability claims and medical providers against malpractice claims.
As part of her privacy and data security practice, Preetha has helped guide clients in developing and executing their responses to serious privacy and data security-related incidents. In particular, she has helped oversee the forensic analysis of data security incidents, advised on notification obligations under state and federal law, and worked with clients to arrange for the service of notice to affected individuals, business partners, and regulators.
Preetha has first-hand experience with both the state and federal court systems. She joined Ellis & Winters after a two-year clerkship with the Honorable Mark A. Davis of the North Carolina Court of Appeals. She also served as a legal extern for the Honorable Richard A. Elmore of the North Carolina Court of Appeals. Since joining Ellis & Winters, she has cross-examined witnesses at a federal trial and filed an amicus brief with the United States Supreme Court.
Fundamentally, Preetha is community-driven. As a law student, she provided pro bono services to indigent clients with Legal Aid in the Appalachian Mountains of Eastern Kentucky. As a lawyer, she continues to serve the public in a number of different ways: she is a graduate of Leadership Cary, a member of Susie Sharp Inn of Court, and active in homeless ministries in Raleigh.
In her free time, Preetha is an active artist. She and her husband, Woody, formed their own small business, Prints by Preetha, LLC. True to her nature, Preetha uses her passion for drawing as a vehicle for good: she donates a portion of the proceeds of her artwork to hunger-relief organizations, and her prints are frequently featured at silent auctions to raise money for local charities.
- J.D., University of North Carolina School of Law, 2016
- Honors: cum laude
- Law Review: North Carolina Law Review, Comments Editor
- B.A., Centre College, 2013
- Honors: magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- North Carolina
- North Carolina
- Eastern District of North Carolina
- Middle District of North Carolina
- Western District of North Carolina
Professional Associations and Memberships
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Wake County Bar Association
- Susie Sharp Inn of Court
|Mar 4, 2019||Ellis & Winters prepares amicus brief in U.S. Supreme Court case involving novel issues of trust taxation|
|Sep 13, 2018||Ellis & Winters Welcomes Preetha Suresh Rini and Eric Goodheart|
Prior Legal Experience
- Clerkship, North Carolina Court of Appeals, Hon. Mark A. Davis
- Judicial Extern, North Carolina Court of Appeals, Hon. Richard A. Elmore
- “Tracking the Status of North Carolina’s Satellite-Based Monitoring Program Post-Grady,” The Middle Ground, Volume 8, Issue 2, October 2018
- “The North Carolina Street Gang Nuisance Abatement Act: Unconstitutionally Criminalizing the Presence of Gang Members in North Carolina,” 94 N.C. L. Rev. Add. 44 (2016)