Andrew Chamberlin is a trial attorney with a broad national and international practice. Andrew has litigated product liability and catastrophic injury defense cases for a variety of corporations and handled the prosecution and defense of commercial, construction, and intellectual property disputes. He has appeared in state and federal courts across the United States in his role as counsel for various entities.
Andrew understands the value of being “appropriately aggressive.” He strives to understand the business and legal aspects of a given dispute to craft a path that serves the client’s best interests. Though he has tried “bet the company” jury trials, he is equally ready consider a range of business and legal alternatives. Andrew understands that the best outcome for the client is not always achieved through a favorable verdict; it is possible to win the battle but lose the war.
The key is to balance the benefits of going to trial, against the inherent litigation and business risk of engaging in a dispute in a public forum. Andrew has developed a highly tailored approach to litigation that is considerate of his client’s specific needs, particularly with respect to European multinational corporations that operate globally and are subject to cultural and market pressures that differ from domestic corporations. His innovative thinking is best illustrated by his success in obtaining a highly influential discovery ruling that permits simultaneous compliance with the requirements of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure and the French Blocking Statute. See Salt River Project Agricultural Improvement and Power District v. Trench France SAS, et al., 303 F. Supp. 1004 (2018).
Andrew prefers to build a partnership with each client that allows him to gain proper insight into the operation of their business, their tolerance for litigation risk, and the best available outcome. In appropriate circumstance, Andrew has helped implement pre-litigation investigations and settlement programs for clients facing product issues, allowing them to resolve their disputes and maintain their business reputation without proceeding to litigation or trial.
Andrew is actively involved in the global legal community. He was recently installed as President-Elect of the International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC), which is composed of the world’s leading corporate and insurance attorneys and insurance executives. Andrew’s recent work has included ICC proceedings, cross-border document collections and discovery issues, disputes related to the French blocking statute, and GDPR compliance. Additionally, he served as a faculty member for the 2014 IADC Trial Academy at Stanford University. He has also served as an invited speaker on Rule 702, catastrophic event investigation, the trial of a complex case, and the application of technology to the practice of law. He recently co-authored “The Effective Deponent: Preventing Amygdala Hijack During Witness Testimony” published in For the Defense, June 2018.
Andrew is also involved in his community. Andrew has served as President of First Lutheran Church, Board Chair of Greensboro Urban Ministry, and President of the North Carolina Fusion soccer club. An advocate for the poor and the homeless, Andrew has co-led a weekly breakfast for the homeless for 14 years.
Andrew is married with two college-age daughters, and he enjoys spending most of his free time with family. He also loves to travel and enjoys all forms of exercise, though he wishes the benefits of his hard work were more obvious!
- J.D., University of Georgia School of Law, 1990
- Honors: cum laude
- Georgia Journal of International and Comparative Law, Member, 1989 – 1990
- B.A., University of Georgia, 1987
- North Carolina
- Eastern District of North Carolina
- Middle District of North Carolina
- Western District of North Carolina
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
Memberships and Associations
- International Association of Defense Counsel, President 2020, Board Member
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys, Past Board Member
- Greensboro Urban Ministry, Past Board Chair
- Greensboro United Soccer Association, Past Board Secretary
- North Carolina Soccer Fusion, Past President
- First Lutheran Church, Greensboro, Past President
- Co-author, “The Effective Deponent: Preventing Amygdala Hijack During Witness Testimony“; For the Defense, June 2018
- Editorial Board, “Defense Counsel Training Manual, 3rd Ed. 2016
- 2014 IADC Trial Academy, Faculty Member, Stanford University Law School, Palo Alto, CA
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants; Product Liability Litigation – Defendants (2005 – 2020)
- International Who’s Who of Product Liability Defence Lawyers (2013 – 2020)
- Benchmark Litigation, North Carolina Litigation Star (2015 – 2020)
- North Carolina Super Lawyers Magazine, Civil Litigation, Class Action/Mass Torts, Business Litigation (2005 – 2020)