Maddi Pfefferle, a Raleigh native, is a member of the firm’s Litigation Group. She is an experienced litigator who focuses her legal work on medical malpractice defense, regulatory compliance, and general negligence defense. She is well known as a positive, passionate, and energetic advocate for her clients. Before joining Ellis & Winters, Maddi was in private practice and devoted the majority of her time to representing and advising health care providers in medical malpractice actions.
A graduate of the University of Maryland, with a B.A. in Government and Politics, Maddi went on to earn her J.D. from the University of North Carolina School of Law. While in law school, she served as the Clerk of Court for Holderness Moot Court where she was awarded National Order of the Barristers for outstanding performance as a student advocate. Additionally, she served as the Notes and Comments Editor for the North Carolina Journal of International Law and was selected for the Seymour W. Wurfel Award for her dedication of time and spirit to the journal, persistence in the face of discouragement, and enthusiastic helpfulness to other staff members.
In high school, Maddi joined her father, a now retired dentist, on her first mission trip to Belarus with the American Belarussian Relief Organization (ABRO), during which the team delivered essential supplies to orphans impacted by the lingering effects of nuclear disaster in Chernobyl. Maddi’s experiences meeting individuals who face immense hardship and her international travels opened her eyes to the world, and injustice within the world, and she determined to fully appreciate every blessing she receives and give back at every opportunity both in her career and personal life. Maddi recognizes that it is a privilege to participate in and represent others in our legal system.
Maddi is an active member of the Greater Raleigh Chamber of Commerce and a graduate of its “Leadership Raleigh” program, with an agenda to prepare future leaders by providing an in-depth view of community issues and giving participants the opportunity to develop a project fulfilling community needs. During her participation, Maddi and her group volunteered and fundraised for “Read and Feed”, a local nonprofit that provides underserved elementary school children nourishing meals while helping them strengthen their literacy skills.
Maddi is a proud aunt and relishes spending time with her nephews in their many adventurous endeavors. With the assistance of Marbury, her pandemic puppy, Maddi enjoys educating those who ask the significance of his name about the United States Supreme Court’s authority to review the constitutionality of legislation. Maddi also enjoys ballroom dancing, gardening, travelling, and cheering for the Tar Heels.
- University of North Carolina School of Law
- Honors: National Order of the Barristers, Seymour W. Wurfel Award
- Notes and Comments Editor, North Carolina Journal of International Law
- University of Maryland, B.S., Government and Politics
- North Carolina
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of NC
- United States District Court for the Middle District of NC
- United States District Court for the Western District of NC
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of NC
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Middle District of NC
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of NC
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circut
Memberships and Associations
- DRI – Young Lawyers Steering Committee (Present)
Business North Carolina, Legal Elite, Young Guns (2023)
- Madeleine Pfefferle Appointed to DRI’s Young Lawyers Steering Committee
- Madeleine Pfefferle Published in DRI’s June 2023 “For the Defense”
- NCADA 46th Annual Meeting and Spring Seminar a Big Success
- Ellis & Winters Attorneys Featured in the 2023 March Issue of Attorney at Law Magazine
- Business North Carolina Announces 2023 Legal Elite Rankings