Alex Hagan serves as the head of the litigation group at Ellis & Winters. He is a trial lawyer whose practice includes product liability defense, as well as the defense of laboratories, hospitals, nursing homes, and individual health care providers. Additionally, Alex has extensive commercial litigation experience, representing software manufacturers, retail chains, and other product manufacturers in contract, trademark and employment disputes. Alex has considerable jury trial experience in tort and commercial matters in both state and federal court.
Alex has presented to various organizations, including the North Carolina Conference of Superior Court Judges, International Association of Defense Counsel, DRI, Eagle International Associates, Inc., and the North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys. He has also given presentations to Papanicolaou Society of Cytopathology, the Southern Association of Cytotechnologists, and the North Carolina Society of Cytology, on the federal regulations, trends in laboratory liability issues, and the defense of laboratory malpractice actions.
Alex has been selected as a North Carolina Litigation Star by Benchmark Litigation in the 2016 edition. In 2015, he was named the Raleigh “Lawyer of the Year” by The Best Lawyers in America® in the category of Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants. He has also been listed to Best Lawyers for Medical Malpractice Law – Defendants since 2006. Alex has appeared in North Carolina Super Lawyers Magazine since 2006 and maintains a peer review rating of AV® in Martindale-Hubbell. In August 2015, Alex served as a faculty member of the IADC Trial Academy, held at Stanford University Law School. In October 2015, he was named chair of the DRI Medical Liability and Health Care Law Committee. In October 2017, Alex was elected as DRI National Director.
Alex received his undergraduate and law degree from the University of North Carolina (B.A., 1987; J.D., With Honors, 1992). He served as law clerk to Chief Justice James G. Exum, Jr. of the North Carolina Supreme Court from 1992 to 1994.
Awards and Honors
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, "Leader in the Field" for Litigation: Healthcare & Medical Malpractice (2016-2018)
- Benchmark Litigation, North Carolina Litigation Star (2016-2018)
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Medical Malpractice Law-Defendants and Personal Injury Litigation-Defendants (2006-2018)
- Raleigh "Lawyer of the Year" in Personal Injury Litigation-Defendants (2015)
- North Carolina Super Lawyers Magazine, Civil Litigation, Personal Injury - Medical Malpractice, Business Litigation (2006-2018)
- Peer Review Rating of AV® in Martindale-Hubbell
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- National Director (2017 - Present)
- Medical Liability and Health Care Law Committee
- Chair (2015 - 2016)
- Vice Chair (2014 - 2015)
- Medical Liability and Health Care Law Seminar, 2012 Program Chair
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Foundation of the International Association of Defense Counsel, Board of Directors (2015 - present)
- Intellectual Property Committee, Chair (2016 - present)
- Trial Academy Faculty (2015)
- Annual Meeting CLE Steering Committee, Chair (2015)
- Technology Committee, Chair (2013 - 2014)
- Membership Committee
- Eagle International Associates, Inc., Board of Directors
- North Carolina Bar Association
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys
- Product Liability Advisory Council, Member
Prior Legal Experience
- Clerkship, North Carolina Supreme Court, Hon. James G. Exum, Jr., Chief Justice, 1992-1994
- Attorney, Smith Helms Mulliss & Moore LLP, Raleigh, NC, 1995-2000