Jeremy's legal experience has been shaped by his unique background. After law school, he joined one of the country's largest law firms. In Skadden Arps' New York office, Jeremy defended clients in putative class action securities claims that arose out of the mortgage-backed securities crisis.
Jeremy also practiced in a small law office in Pittsboro with former Judge Wade Barber. During his time in Pittsboro, Jeremy represented individuals in all types of legal matters. Through his interactions with clients, he learned the importance of providing excellent service in an efficient manner.
These unique experiences litigating from Times Square to the Pittsboro Circle have focused Jeremy on providing excellent and efficient representation of his clients.
Today, Jeremy's practice is broad. He litigates complex commercial cases, including claims involving contracts, intellectual property, securities, and allegations of fraud. Jeremy also defends companies in products liability claims. He has represented higher education clients in a variety of litigation matters. Jeremy also litigates employment matters, including claims involving trade secrets and breach of covenants not to compete. Jeremy has also defended professionals in malpractice claims and before licensing boards.
Jeremy also advises clients on matters outside litigation. He has assisted companies with privacy issues, including breach notification laws, HIPAA, and the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. In 2017, Jeremy was certified by the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP) as a Certified Information Privacy Professional/United States (CIPP/US).
Jeremy has also spoken to legal professionals on issues like Upjohn warnings, deposing expert witnesses, and disputes in closely-held coprorations. A list of his publications and presentations can be found below. Jeremy also serves as an editor and writer of What’s Fair?, a blog on the law of unfair trade practices.
Jeremy and his wife, Ashley, live in Charlotte with their daughter and son. A native of Tennessee, Jeremy is a long-suffering Tennessee Volunteer football fan.
Awards and Honors
- North Carolina Super Lawyers Magazine, "Rising Star", Business Litigation, Personal Injury - Medical Malpractice (2013-2018)
- Business North Carolina, Legal Elite, Young Guns (2014)
Professional Memberships and Associations
- BarCARES of North Carolina, Inc., Board of Directors (2017)
- Susan G. Komen North Carolina Triangle to the Coast, Board of Directors (2014-2017)
- Young Lawyers, Steering Committee (2013-2017)
- Medical Liability and Health Care Law Committee, Membership Chair (2013-2017)
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys
- Vice-Chair of the Commercial Litigation Practice Group (2016-2017)
- Leadership Raleigh Participant, Greater Raleigh Chamber of Commerce (2014)
- "What to Do When Your Client’s COO Becomes Your Competitor’s BFF," For the Defense, February 2014
- The North Carolina Employee Fair Classification Act
Prior Legal Experience
- Associate, Skadden Arps Slate Meagher & Flom LLP, New York, 2006-2007; 2008-2009
- Judge Wade Barber, Pittsboro, North Carolina, 2007-2008