“He was far and away the most effective defense lawyer on the case. Joe was always fully prepared, down to the smallest detail, and never missed an opportunity. My colleague and I spoke many times about whether we could find a way to settle with Joe’s client so we could get Joe off the case.”
- Opposing counsel in a serious product liability matter
Joe Hammond relishes the opportunity to solve legal problems for people and businesses. Every client has a story, and Joe is honored to be trusted to tell that story to the jury and to the court.
Before joining Ellis & Winters, Joe worked as an associate at Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan LLP in New York City, where he practiced in the areas of commercial litigation, antitrust, and product liability. Throughout his career, he has represented plaintiffs and defendants in federal and state courts throughout the United States.
Joe graduated from New York University School of Law, where he was a Robert McKay Scholar. He served on the staff of the Journal of Law and Liberty and worked at the Prosecution Clinic at the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York. He received his B.A. from the University of Virginia, where he was an Echols Scholar.
In his free time, Joe enjoys spending time with his wife and five children and being active in his church.
- J.D., New York University School of Law, 2006
- Honors: Robert McKay Scholar
- Journal of Law and Liberty, 2005—2006
- B.A., University of Virginia, 2001
- Honors: Echols Scholar
- North Carolina
- New York
- Eastern District of North Carolina
- Middle District of North Carolina
- Western District of North Carolina
- Southern District of New York
- Eastern District of New York
Professional Associations and Memberships
- St. Paul the Apostle Catholic Church of Greensboro, Chair, Parish Council
- Obtained favorable settlement of serious personal injury claims against multinational manufacturer in plaintiff-friendly venue.
- Defended debt buyers in class and individual actions alleging violations of North Carolina debt collection law.
- Obtained favorable consent injunction on behalf of employer in dispute with departing employee.
- Obtained complete dismissal of claims against Saudi conglomerate in North Carolina Business Court.
- Represented general contractors and subcontractors in construction disputes.
- Represented business owners in corporate control disputes.
- Defended manufacturers against product liability and asbestos-related claims in North Carolina.
Prior Legal Experience
- Associate, Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan LLP, 2006—2012
- North Carolina Super Lawyers Magazine, “Rising Star,” Civil Litigation: Defense (2017)
- North Carolina limits defendants’ ability to “pick off” class claims.
- Ellis & Winters Attorneys Recognized As 2020 North Carolina Super Lawyers®
- Ellis & Winters Announces Two New Partners
- Twenty-Three Ellis & Winters Lawyers Named to 2017 North Carolina Super Lawyers
- Ellis & Winters Welcomes Attorney Joe Hammond